Sunday, November 30, 2014

My Journey Through Assistive Technology

     I certainly have learned a wealth of information in regards to assistive technology. When I first enrolled in the course, my initial thoughts on the use of assistive technologies were the use of computers and iPads. But I have learned through the sixteen week course that these devices are just a small portion of what assistive technologies really are. Assistive technology can be as basic as a pencil grip, slant board, or weighted pencil. These devices are still consider as a piece of technology but specifically a low tech device. Moving towards more complex devices, mid tech devices can include recorded books, switches, and amplification systems. High tech devices can include alternate keyboards, text-to-speech software, and augmentative communication devices. 

     This information certainly will help me as an educator. Knowing your students is a critical component as a teacher. You must know the strengths and weaknesses of every child in your class, especially students with special needs. One you know the students needs, you can assess whether you think any form of low to mid to high tech devices would be appropriate to increase academic, social, or behavioral issues in the classroom. 

     Looking back at my earlier posts in the class, I found in my very first posts that I posted "I am extremely interested in expanding my knowledge on using and implementing assistive technologies in the school setting." I feel that I certainly have expanded my knowledge with what I have discussed above. I also have found some amazing resources that I will continue to refer back to. Starting from the first day that I have blogged to the very last, I have created a user friendly blog which incorporates informational videos, pictures, and charts. I found that earlier posts talked about assistive technologies that talked over a broad range of academic areas. Towards the end of my blogging, I really honed in on specific subject areas and effective assistive technology devices that could be used.

     I had a wonderful time blogging about all the information I have learned over the sixteen week course. I certainly will refer back to my blog as I continue my educational career!

No comments:

Post a Comment